Monday, May 10, 2010

"P" is for Peas; Pasta with Peas and Lemon

This weekends vegetable is the pea! Everyone's had them and for some reason, many hate them. I will never understand why people do not like green peas. They are delicious! Whether frozen, fresh, snap, snow or wasabi...they are just awesome. I got this recipe from Real Simple's Meals Made Easy catalogue that is on stands until (I believe) July. Similar recipes are available online.

The pasta with peas & lemon is by far the cheapest dish I've made yet. The jalapeno cost $0.02 and the bag of peas $1.00! I think this is the classy college student meal. I was weary at first of the jalapenos but in the end I was glad I chose to include them! The dish tasted good without being too lemony and heavy. It felt healthy, like I wasn't drowning in fat and grease -- making it a perfect dish for the summer weather too! The ingredients are as simple as the dish!

1 pound dry spaghetti
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 jalapeƱos, seeded and thinly sliced (optional)
zest of 1 lemon, grated
½ cup fresh lemon juice
1 ½ cups frozen peas
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ cup (2 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

1. Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
2. Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
3. Add the garlic, jalapeƱos (if using), and lemon zest and cook until the garlic is golden
4. Drain the pasta and add it to the skillet with the lemon juice, peas, salt, pepper.
5. Heat until warmed through, 3 to 4 minutes.
6. Transfer the pasta to individual plates and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese (if using).

I wouldn't make any adjustments to the recipe but I do recommend including the parmesan. The pasta was good but it tasted better once I added the cheese. I do plan on making this heart-healthy meal again but probably not too often because it is, at the end of the day, still pasta and too much is a bad thing! Also, horray for the first vegan dish making it onto the blog!

Ratings
Taste: 5 out of 5
Level of Difficulty: Easy