Tuesday, June 8, 2010

"O" is for Okra; Crispy Okra Salad

First, I want to apologize for my absence! Since I've last updated, I've graduated Cum Laude from college, moved back to Northern Virginia and (maybe) have a per-basis photo gig.

Anyway, this week's vegetable is okra. A lot of people think okra is gross...I disagree. Its actually one of my favorite vegetables. The key to making sure that you enjoy the vegetable is to get them fresh or frozen. Canned, of course, will be gross and slimy. The only problem is okra seems to be getting more difficult to find. I went to three stores before finally finding it, however it is still cheap. Overall, this dish was very inexpensive with the most expensive ingredient being the spice, garam masala. This recipe is from Food & Wine's website. It was hard to find a recipe that I wanted to make involving okra because there surprisingly weren't too many different ones. I know I love fried okra, but I wanted to make more of a dish. Here are the ingredients & process:

1 1/4 teaspoons garam masala
Vegetable oil, for frying
1 pound young okra—halved lengthwise and cut into long, thin strips
Kosher salt
1/2 small red onion, very thinly sliced (3/4 cup)
1 medium tomato—cored, seeded and sliced into thin strips
1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1. Chop ingredients into thin slices.
2. Fry okra in vegetable oil for about 4 minutes until crispy and lightly browned.
3. Remove okra and lightly sprinkle with garam masala and salt.
4. Mix ingredients together.
5. Re-season and serve.

I honestly wouldn't make any adjustments to this dish however I did leave out the cilantro because I think it smells like wet dog. Regardless, the dish was really delicious and perfect for the summer. It could be the main or side dish. I was weary of the garam masala because of my last experience with Chinese five spice but this one is great! You can really taste the nutmeg in it which is why I think I liked it so much. This dish is also vegan!

Ratings
Taste: 5 out of 5
Level of Difficulty: Easy