Saturday, February 20, 2010

"T" is for Tomatoes; Tomato and Onion Calzone

Today's vegetable is tomato, which I'm sure every one is familiar with. Without thinking about it, we probably do consume tomato's in some form at least two times a week. So why did I choose to make it the star for the letter T? Because its really just that delicious! There are a number of other "T" vegetables that I encourage other people to check out. I wish I could but selection around here is pretty awful! I'm looking forward to the local farmers markets coming back so I can get a better variety of vegetables. This recipe was something that I threw together based on what I had in the house. The ingredients are:

green onion
onion
roma tomato's
pizza crust-like dough
tomato sauce
olive oil & spices

I would've loved to have made a really intricate dish when tomatoes took center stage but tomato calzone's were just too perfect because I got to empty my refrigerator at the same time! These were my steps (also illustrated with pictures below):

1. Preheat oven 400˚F
2. Get a slight bake on the pizza crust (they have roll out dough available or you can make your own -- I encourage making your own so you can add minced garlic into the dough!)
3. Chop green onion, onion and tomatoes (the outer shell, no the seeds) and mix.
4. Place onto dough and roll.
5. Cut vents into the top and bake.
6. Mix oil and spices (of the Italian variety) and brush onto uncooked calzone.
7. Bake for about 10 minutes.

I opted for no cheese since I do not like it, but fresh mozzarella balls would be delicious inside the calzone. Also, the "spices" I mentioned really are up to you. I have my own secret mixture that I use to dip bread in, but I'll give you one hint: DON'T FORGET THE ROSEMARY! Rosemary is delicious! I also served with it tomato sauce for dipping.

Ratings
Taste: 5 out of 5
Level of Difficulty: Easy