Saturday, January 30, 2010

"V" is for Vidalia Onions: Bacon and Vidalia Pinwheels

Today's alphabetical vegetable is vidalia. Vidalia is sweeter than it's other onions friends and can really be used in anything. I opted for the pinwheel recipe because the picture on the website looked just too good to pass up. Unfortunately, mine didn't turn out as pretty as theirs, however they are just as delicious! I changed the main ingredients slightly (and lost the butter - gross!) but otherwise they are the same:

vidalia onion
turkey bacon (its supposed to be healthier)
parsley
crescent rolls

A few adjustments I'd make to the recipe next time include: adding more onion and instead of the crescent rolls, I'd go ahead and get another type of Pillsbury role. The crescent type of role made it nearly impossible to create the large version the recipe calls for. Unless you're an expert at opening those cans and unrolling the dough perfectly so you can press the perforations together, I'd say, forget it and buy a different type (like the pizza). I made two versions because of the first dough-fiasco and the mini rolls turned out much better looking.

If you have a sweet tooth, this recipe is for you! Because of the onion and the rolls, it was a lot more sweet than I was expecting!

Ratings
Taste: 4 out of 5
Level of Difficulty: Easy

the star of today's show!

the stuffing

mini rolls, about to go into the oven


final product!

my apron :)