Wednesday, January 13, 2010

"Y" is for Yellow Squash: Yellow Squash, Spinach and Sausage Quiche

Technically yellow squash is also considered a fruit, but considering the everything about yams gross me out, I decided to overlook the detail. I got today's recipe from my mom. Her quiche is the best. I modified her recipe by adding the yellow squash, adding more spinach and leaving out the cheese. In the end though, the yellow squash got lost in the other flavors and I think the spinach stole the show. Its a delicious dish but the yellow squash didn't end up playing a major roll. With my leftover squash, I am going to make yellow squash chips. I'll update again with photos of those, once they're made! My ingredients for the quiche were as follows:

Pie crust
parmesan cheese
spinach
yellow squash
sausage
green onion
garlic
half & half
eggs
bread crumbs

Here is a similar recipe for yellow squash quiche that uses a few alternative ingredients.

Ratings
Taste: 5 out of 5
Level of Difficulty: Moderate

Photos of process
mixing and cooking the filling.
the pie crust with sprinkled parmesan cheese.
before going in the oven.
out of the oven!
enjoy!