Monday, January 18, 2010

"W" is for Watercress: Watercress Guacamole (and finishing your Yellow Squash & Zucchini leftovers)

Today's alphabetical leafy green is watercress which is apparently pretty hard to find fresh (at least in Richmond anyway). But I was determined to use it because its an anti-cancer superfood. Watercress is said to "reduce DNA damage to blood cells" (Source) and a vegetable that can be used in pretty much anything to add a little freshness. I opted to make guacamole because anything with avocado's is a winner and I wanted to create the ultimate leftover meal. The watercress guacamole was very simple with the only ingredients being:

avocado
lime
watercress tops
salt

I normally add more to my guacamole but since I was following their recipe opted not too. The watercress added a lightness and freshness. In the future, I definitely plan on continuing to use watercress! The recipe above used three avocado's but unless you plan on eating it all at once, I would only use one at a time (eyeballing the rest of the ingredients is easy). If you still can't finish the smaller portion you've made, put saran wrap on top and cover to prevent the browning, which happens incredibly fast.

But then, what about the zucchini and yellow squash that was unused in the last two recipes? Well, instead of making chips like I had planned, I sauteed the leftovers in olive oil and garlic, toasted tortillas and bought some canned refried beans to create the ultimate delicious leftover meal!

Ratings
Taste: 5 out of 5
Level of Difficulty: Super Easy

Photos
Todays vegetable

Yum!