Saturday, April 10, 2010

"S" is for Shiitake; Avocado & Shiitake Spring Rolls

Today's vegetable is shiitake, the winner of the poll I conducted earlier this month. I haven't actually cooked with shiitake before because I normally just opt for portabella regardless of the dish. Nevertheless, I mustered up the courage to use them. In the end, I think I will continue to cook with them. They are mushrooms and any mushroom is delicious. I chose this dish for a couple reasons. One is because I've never made eggrolls before and wanted to see if I could (I see Southwest Eggrolls in my future). Two because one of the ingredients was avocado, which I love! Anyway, here are the ingredients and an abbreviated list of directions.

1 quart oil for frying
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/3 cup shredded cabbage
2 tablespoons finely chopped shiitake mushrooms
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
1 teaspoon lemon juice
8 spring roll wrappers

1. Heat oil in wok over medium heat.
2. Heat, on medium, ingredients with oil (cabbage, shiitake)
3. Add salt & pepper, Chinese Five Spice.
4. Remove from heat. Add avocado.
5. Roll 1 teaspoon into wrappers (NOTE: DO HOWEVER MUCH YOU WANT!)
6. Deep fry for three minutes or until golden.
7. Cut, cool and serve!
(Recipe used as a measurement guide)

I highly recommend following the directions. I simply used them as a guide and ended up adding way too much Chinese Five-Spice which, so it ends up, is most disgusting spice I've ever tasted (its awful). If used correctly, I'm sure its okay...but I added entirely too much. Another adjustment I'd make to the recipe is what I mentioned above. Put as much as you want in the eggroll! 1 teaspoon is nothing and the majority of the roll will be the wrap! I eyeballed it and ended up making 6 hearty eggrolls.

In all honesty, I will probably not make this particular dish again and its only because of the spice. I could leave the spice out but instead, I think I will use the leftover wraps I have to make southwestern eggrolls which still have avocado (and maybe shiitake?).

Ratings
Taste: 3 out of 5
Level of Difficulty: Moderate